Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Jan's Room Was Like for Artists

First off, I don't know who took this photo, but I apologize for not giving credit where it is due. Tonight, Exit Reflex, Walls and The Pissed Jeans will play the final show in Allentown, PA at the now legendary Jan's Room. The space which has been active for a few years now has had some great shows, a few which I was lucky enough to attend. The building, which up until now was in a forgotten part of A-town, is apparently being refurbished and repackaged as part of a "neighborhood revitalization" process.

The Lehigh Valley is an incredible spot for independent music and I don't think you really appreciate it until you go elsewhere. There are always new bands in the LV and when one venue dries up, someone, somehow finds a new space to do a show. While no space is permanent, there are always people willing to help out. Compare that to the south Jersey shore where everyone wants to sound like a mix of sublime, jack johnson or a bad screamo band and there are zero opportunities for good independent shows, you start to realize how good the LV scene is. Thanks to Jordan and everyone else who helped out with running Jan's Room. Unfortunately, a three hour drive for a midweek show is something I can't pull off tonight. I originally thought I could make it, and am super bummed that I cannot be there. Hopefully there will be pics.

No comments: