Monday, January 18, 2010

Blondie

Post Floorpunch show hangover. I can't remember the last show that I enjoyed that much start to finish. I originally was going to skip the detailed show review, but what the hell, it was the last stateside show:

First off, easy drive. It was a lot closer to the south Jersey Shore than I expected and made it there before the doors opened. The Stelton Church was a great venue. Parking was easy, reentry made it a super easy show. I stocked up on my merch ahead of time for hands free sing-a-longs later. Stoked on the FP longsleeve and American Nightmare rip sweat shirt. Got some Get Real shirts too. Shows are about more than merch and posing for the photographers so on with the bands...

Staring Problem had a really good sound that reminded me of Annihilation Time or Black Flag. Not sure what I thought of the vocals, but I may have to pick up a record of their and see how it compares. Was planning on grabbing one after the show, but didn't get a chance.

Next up was Mind Eraser who never fails to disappoint. Brotherhood cover, guest vocalist from Step Forward, and they closed with my favorite side of the Conscious/Unconscious LP. Heaviness, heaviness, blast, heavy, blast. Best quote from DFJ: This is our last song, don't get too excited because its a nine minute song. Or something like that.

The surprise guest came up next, Invasion aka Righteous Jams and tore through a couple songs. Definitely a good set, although I thought it was funny to watch the kids walk around the Stelton Church like Zombies following the box of Invasion Merch.

To be honest, I was so pysched on seeing Get Real. I play the shit out that LP all the time and could not wait to see them live. Opening quote from JR: "You guys have seen this show Jersey Shore right? That's not the Jersey Shore, this is the fucking Jersey Shore!!!" and with that, busted straight into "We Gotta Know". It was insane. At first the crowd was a little stunned, but once they figured out what was going on, the stage rush was on. Kids were diving off everything, including the stacks, etc. The played a great set that was about 50/50 Cro-Mags covers and their best stuff. Definitely a highlight of the evening.

Bracewar was up next and I had never really paid much attention to their stuff previously, but they definitely won me over. Hard as hell, I really dug what they played and will be listening to their releases a lot more now that I have seen them. It's nice to get pleasantly surprised by bands rather than let down. The kids danced fucking hard for them too.

Down to Nothing were up and I was fine with watching them, but can't say I gave their record more than a spin or two before the show. Following their set, I have been playing it ever since. They opened with a hip-hop track and then blasted right into their first song and the place went off. Kids were going nuts. Case in point: I was standing midway through the church near the wall and had a kid land on my head! That's how crazy kids were going off. Unfortunately, the guitarist's cab blew and that's when the game began in which the Lick Heard 'Round Hardcore occurred. If you need further clarification, head to the Bridge 9 messageboard. After a bit of a slow spell, DTN was back at it and like I said, definitely won me over with their performance. Sooo good. Pretty sure I saw a kid do a front flip off of one of the stacks during this set, but I could be wrong.

As Floorpunch was getting set up, I headed up to the front before things got started. The stage itself was packed with family, friends, distant friends and even Porter's daughter. Porter's final announcement was to "fuck this place up" and as usual, the place exploded upon the first song with kids alternating between huge singalongs and mosh parts. As the set went on I crept up closer and closer, finally getting in some good singalongs to the Agnostic Front cover, Let it Ride and the closer, "Blondie" aka "Jersey Shore" aka "Gonna Get Yours". I was proud of the fact that I was the only one who clapped when he announced they were playing "Blondie" since most people didn't know the song by that name. The set was about thirty five minutes, but went by in a blink and honestly, it was an incredible set. Even the attempt at covering "Ready to Fight" was a ton of fun. Dives were a plenty and got wilder and wilder the further into the set things got. In the end, it was a incredible show from start to finish. With no set list, Floorpunch did not disappoint, although I'm sure there are some skeptics as far as this being their last show in the states. If it wasn't I can't say that I would disappointed, seeing as they are one of the few bands out there that makes me want to go up front and sing-a-long until my lungs are sore.

Here's the wristband and the card I snagged that was thrown out at the start of "Let It Ride". Glad Atlantic City was represented.
Discovered this blood on my shoe after the show. It's not mine:

Here's the full set from the show:

Floorpunch from KO Films on Vimeo.

No comments: