Thursday, June 11, 2009

We Got the Beat

I stumbled upon Jive Beat zine through another blog and I gotta say that I'm glad I did. Completely DIY, it is a collection of photocopied pictures, poems, drawings and other assorted works all neatly bound in a half sheet booklet.
I really dig this because, let's face it, very few people are doing zines anymore, especially in the world of surfing. Why go through the hassle of manually putting something together and having to figure out how to distribute it when you can upload a couple of pics on your blog and post a link on a couple of messageboards to get the word out (like me and a 1,000 other bloggers). I think its important for anyone involved in surf culture outside the marketing/moneymaking side of things to document their experiences, because for most of us its not about WQS ratings, clothing sponsorships or video segments, but instead just finding time to get out and catch a few waves on top of everything else going on in our lives. Unfortunately, we rely on mainstream surf-magazines to define things when there are a lot more interesting things going on besides exotic boat trips to Mentawais or who is moving up the leader board on the WCT. So do it yourself.

I think once I hit the one year mark on this thing, I may be done, or at least not go with the daily update. In the works is an actual paper zine with some of the pics that have been used on the blog over the past year as a chance for me to do something beyond the digital world. Thank-you Mr. Knapp.

If you want to try and get a hold of Jive Beat, contact Johnny Knapp here:

No comments: