Monday, August 25, 2008

Demo Days

More and more bands are doing cassette releases these days and I'm not exactly sure why. Granted, there is something about a demo cassette as opposed to a CDR, but either way, I try and check out as many as I can. The first demo cassette that I ever got was from the band Aisle Nine, back in the mid nineties. It was a collection of rough songs and covers, mostly Descendents and Green Day as I remember. It was a great cassette, but much like most of my cassettes, I taped over it at some point. Not too smart seeing as I wish I still had that cassette today. Probably my favorite demo of all time was the Rancor demo that I picked up at the now-gone PJ Soundz in Emmaus. Somewhere along the lines, that too got lost only to be replaced by a CDR put out by Frank FOE a few years later. Above are some of my favorite demos with the exception of the Carpenter Ant cassette that is from a live show they did in Reading. Check out Dead Format record label for some great Lehigh Valley bands on cassette.

No comments: